Friday, February 22, 2013

Homemade Valentine's Day Gift

This Valentine's Day I decided to try to and do something a little more homemade than usual.  I know how much Kim loves picture frames so I made her one with some tweaks to what she likes.  

 Here is the core part of the frame before any other modification.  I won't even show you a picture of the back because it's pretty hideous...But, it did come together nicely for what will be seen.


 After paint


 I ended up buying some cheap frames and just taking the glass out for my frame.  The four corners have 4x6 pictures and the middle has an 8x10.  I've got me and Kim in one, Elise in one, Gracie in one, and Sammie in one.  After we have another kid, I'll put Sammie and Gracie in one slot then our other kid in one.


I was awful surprised at the finished product to be quite honest.  It turned out better than I expected, but that's mostly due to Mel Quillen's awesome artwork.  Kim really likes the whole "Faith, Hope, and Love" theme on pretty much anything so I thought I would utilize that along with Family for my empty slots.  So, I cut pieces of wood to fit the slots, then ran the edges on the table saw at the opposite thickness of the frame portion and they fit snug and flush with the frame.  I sanded them down and gave them to Mel.  She painted them white and added the artwork which I think was perfect for the frame.  Simple, but really cool.  All in all, it turned out really nice I think!  Mad props to Mel for her part in the process!


0 comments:

Post a Comment